Long pauses, again

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Oct 23 11:06:24 EDT 2012

Dr. Hawkins wrote:

> On Monday, October 22, 2012, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> How did you measure that, and what's happening with those properties?
>>
>> There is a time to the second (or tenth of second) in the message watche
> on the mouseup.  The slew of messages is a fairly short burst (a second or
> two at most), with a time 40 seconds later.
>
> On the closestack, it's watching the clock on the screen when I start and
> when the stack window finally goes away.

That'll tell you how long it takes, but not what's eating up the time.

You might consider trying my 4W Flight Recorder tool in the Stacks
section of RevNet - in the IDE choose Development->Plugins-GoRevNet

Flight Recorder will log all messages (except those you exclude; the
default excludes are usually what you want for this sort of thing,
though in your case you may want to remove the "rev" exclusion). Running
while it's logging will definitely take more time than without it, but
since it also provides a rough estimate of the relative time each
handler takes I've found it invaluable for diagnosing bottlenecks.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World