[OT] Where ill conceived copyright laws can lead

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Thu Oct 11 12:59:36 EDT 2012

I have to say, it's better than it was. I used to buy LP's 2 and 3 times because I would wear them out, and then there was a limit on how many I could have because they took up space. The quality of tape, LP's and CD's (yes CD's they scratch and do not have an indefinite shelf life) is limited by time.

If I faithfully back up my digital copies of music, I will have them my entire life. What's more, I can re-have music I loved when I was young. No one was ever going to reprint the media once it went out of print. Now almost everything in the past has been reproduced in a digital format because the investment is so cheap and you only have to do it once.

And movies! Don't get me started on movies! There are old movies no one was ever going to see again, unless some cable channel played it some early morning around 2:00! Now you can buy it online and download it. You can buy entire sets of them! Everybody wins!

I think what Steve Jobs did for the media industry is a HUGE plus, and is one of those rare situations where the bulk of the consumers AND the producers agree!

Bob