iOS: Internet connection available?

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Wed Oct 10 20:56:56 EDT 2012

I have no idea if the code below can be any use for iOS.  It was posted by
Phil Davis a few months back and I use it in my desktop apps.  Obviously
the switch commands for the desktop platforms are not relevant but perhaps
the methodology could still work.

*function* appIsConnected purl

   *local* tShellOutput,tResult

   *switch* (the platform)

      *case* "MacOS"

         *put* shell("ping -c 1 -t 5" && purl) into tShellOutput

         *put* the result into tResult

         *break*

      *case* "Win32" *-- PD 20100411*

         *set* the hideConsoleWindows to true

         *put* shell("ping -n 1 -w 5000" && purl) into tShellOutput

         *put* the result into tResult

         *break*

      *case* "Linux"

         *put* shell("ping -c 1 -w 5") && purl into tShellOutput

         *put* the result into tResult

         *break*

      *default* *-- all other OSes*

         *put* param(0) & colon && the platform && "platform not supported"
into tResult

         *break*

      *end* *switch*

      *-- check for connection failure*

   *if* tResult <> empty *then*

      *return* false *-- failed*

   *else* *-- connected, but how well?*

      *set* the itemDel to comma

      *switch* the platform

         *case* "Win32"

            *get* tShellOutput

            *filter* it with "*(0% loss)*"

            *break*

         *case* "MacOS"

            *repeat* for each item tFilter in "* 0% packet loss*,* 0.0%
packet loss*" *-- for different OS versons*

               *get* tShellOutput

               *filter* it with tFilter

               *if* it <> empty *then* *exit* *repeat*

            *end* *repeat*