[OT] Girls Don't Code??

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Fri Oct 5 13:44:25 EDT 2012

On Oct 5, 2012, at 11:04 AM, Bob Sneidar wrote:
<snip>

> I think it is more a question of tendencies than abilities.

<snip>

Our first two kids were boys. My wife and I, all full of high-minded book learnin',  were all determined that we wouldn't force "gender roles" on our first child. So we got him both dolls and trucks to play with. Guess what? He played with the dolls. He turned them into guns or crashed them into the trucks. Then came the two girls. My wife doesn't much like pink and hates arts and crafts. Daughter #1 loved pink and frilly and to this day enjoys arts and crafts projects.

In my LiveCode programming class I almost always have more women than men in my first semester course. As a group they tend to do at least as well as, if not better than, the men. But the second semester course is almost always majority men. So in my limited pool of subjects more men than women self-select to go on to advanced LiveCode programming topics. I don't worry about it; I figure they are just choosing the things that interests them the most.

Just my $.02.

Devin

Devin Asay
Office of Digital Humanities