connecting to MySql

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Mon Oct 1 13:03:19 EDT 2012

Yes I do as well. However this is considered in the industry a non-secure way of connecting to mySQL because of all the exploits that are out there. We use a digital lock and key system here on this campus (which will remain nameless), which is managed from a "secure" mySQL server running on a Linux distro which is used a lot for this purpose. Obviously, security is a HUGE deal for this vendor, and one of their big selling points is security. All communications between the web page and the host are encrypted. And yet, using an exploit he knew about, he was able to get at the data directly. I bet him a lunch he could not, and I paid him off.

If you are writing something for in house use, you can use On-Rev and access the database directly securely enough, because you have to allow access via the On-Rev interface on an IP address basis, so only connections coming from your own campus would be accepted. I suppose someone on the "inside" could still try and get at the data, but if the data is not that important then this might be acceptable.