http://www.haiku-os.org/

kee nethery kee at kagi.com
Sat Nov 17 23:43:22 EST 2012

My understanding was that BeOS had few drivers and few protocol stacks whereas the NeXT Mach version of Unix had everything. BeOS was very shiny but not full featured. Unix rugged robust reliable but not sexy. From what I recall, it was not price, it was time to market with an OS that could match the functionality of Mac OS 9 plus be so much more. And, think of all the apps already available for Unix as compared to BeOS.

BeOS was very cool, very nice, but it was missing a ton of functionality in day to day getting stuff done. Plus Gasse is a good salesman but not the equal to Jobs. No one talks about a Gasse Reality Distortion Field.

Kee