Where Do You Save User Prefs?

Igor de Oliveira Couto igor at superstudent.net
Sun May 27 22:08:21 EDT 2012

Thank you very much, Jacqueline:

On 28/05/2012, at 4:01 AM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> SpecialFolderPath() on Android offers very few choices. You can't write to the engine folder and cache folder contents are temporary, so that leaves only specialFolderPath("documents"). I've used the documents folder and it works fine. I don't think there's a standard for file naming.

Our info then becomes:

1) MacOS X
Prefs Location: specialFolderPath("Home") & "/Library/Application Support/MyCompany/MyAppBundleID/" - - Apple requires you to use the application's bundle id for the *folder name*

2) Windows
Prefs Location: specialFolderPath("0x001a") & "/MyApp/"

3) Linux
Prefs Location: there does not seem to be a 'standard', but several programs seem to take the approach of creating a hidden folder in the user's home directory - specialFolderPath("Home") & "/.myapp/"

4) iOS
Prefs Location: specialFolderPath("library") & "/MyAppBundleID/" - Apple requires you to use the application's bundle id for the *folder name*

5) Android
Prefs Location: specialFolderPath("documents")

It seems that regardless of the platform, as long as you save your preferences file in the appropriate location, you can name it anything you wish.

Can anyone see any errors in the information above, or are we safe to run with it?

Many thanks to all for your the guidance and patience assistance.

--
Igor Couto
Sydney, Australia