iOS Splash Screen masks display

Tim Jones tolistim at me.com
Fri May 25 09:49:51 EDT 2012

On May 23, 2012, at 2:04 PM, Graham Samuel wrote:

> I'm developing an iPad app which has an iOS splash screen (they all do), which AFAIK is there in order to show itself until the app is fully loaded. I am not sure how iOS knows that the load is complete, but anyway I seem to have a problem about this.
>
> My app has two stacks: the first has a startup handler that sets things going but is not displayed, and then hands over to the other stack. When the splash screen goes away, I want to show a particular card (say Card1) in the second stack, wait a short time and then move to another card (Card2) to allow the user to start work. I found that if I put a script like this into the first card:
>
> on openCard
>  wait 4 seconds
>  go to "Card2"
> end openCard
>
> then the splash screen stays around for an extra 4 seconds, and the first thing the user sees is Card 2 - Card 1 is never visible.
>
> What did I do wrong and how can I get the result I want?

You don't create the splash screen.  You provide a static image as part of your bundle and the iOS executive displays it and then hides it once your app is loaded.

That part is automatic, not something that you have to code.

Check here for details:

	http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/userexperience/conceptual/mobilehig/IconsImages/IconsImages.html

In fact, if you're not creating another "Galactic Invaders" game, I recommend the UI guideline docs for everyone:

	http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/userexperience/conceptual/mobilehig/Introduction/Introduction.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40006556-CH1-SW1

Tim