Webifying livecode is a real mystery to me

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Fri May 25 09:46:23 EDT 2012

Bravo, Igor.  This is exactly how I see it.  But thanks to Andre and
the others for making really good points.  (I'd never heard of
AngularJS, so I'm going to look into it).

I'd bet 99.99% of developers have never heard of Livecode.  Without a
massive advertising campaign, I don't see them galloping in here.

If you want to provide something that requires zero installation
resistance, then the web is your platform.

Once you get over that installation resistance, then Livecode shines.
And what we are seeing with the apps markets on the various mobile
devices is that end-users are getting over the installation
resistance.

Bernard

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 10:14 AM, Igor de Oliveira Couto
<igor at superstudent.net> wrote:
> Unfortunately, there is no denying that web development IS a complex and ugly beast. You *are* dealing with a variety of languages, both on the client side, and on the server side. You deal with a variety of frameworks. And you have to use a variety of programming techniques, philosophies and approaches. Some of the frameworks worth mentioning:
[...]
> For me, the main problem is that the BROWSER was never designed to be a platform for application development in the first place. It was meant to be only a content-delivery tool. We are using all these tools to try to make the browser 'turn' into a platform for delivering 'desktop-quality' app - and, honestly, the browser can get close to it, but it is just not the same. Just because you *can* programme a solution as a web app, does not mean that it is the best solution. In my experience, it very rarely is. There *are* problems, always, even if you follow all the 'best-practices'.
[...]
> See, I don't want to get into LiveCode so I can produce web apps. I want to get into LiveCode so I can at least *reduce* the number of web apps I produce, because I honestly feel that they are a poor solution to many of the problems that the clients want to use them to address.
[...]