SHIFTkey "Fun"

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed May 9 22:33:27 EDT 2012

Richmond wrote:

> This whole thing is a pox, as I don't have this problem with Windows or
> Linux (because Livecode detects a MOD-keydown as
> a rawKeyDown and spits out a Unicode value).
>
> The thing that interests me here is that, in Mac OS 7,8,9, 10.2 there
> was a program called 'Keycaps' which was quite capable of detecting
> when a SHIFT key was pressed whether another key was pressed or not.
> This SHOULD mean that somewhere "in the plumbing of Mac OS" some sort of
> rawKey signals are generated.

Do you know for certain that the KeyCaps program isn't polling the state
of the key, as others here have showed you how to do in LiveCode?

If not, what is the name or the OS X API which sends that message?

It's not entirely inconceivable that OS APIs may differ from one another.

Seems far more likely than the folks at RunRev sitting around their
conference table thinking of ways that many years later they may be able
to thwart Richmond's plans. ;)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World