SHIFTkey horrors

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed May 9 11:37:08 EDT 2012

On 05/09/2012 06:28 PM, Mike Bonner wrote:
> Root beer is an acquired taste I guess! So is Dr Pepper but in the Texas/NM
> area it seems to be the cats pajamas. (always wanted to slip that into a
> sentence)

Yup "cats pajamas" is rather good; sort of rolls off the tongue in a
satisfying sort of way.

These tastes are very much bound up with one's childhood; have you ever
tried "Marmite"? I was brought up
on it (its a sort of yeast extract); most people who do not come from
the British Isles can't stand it.

Here in Bulgaria there is a drink called 'Boza' which can best be
described as fermented oatmeal porridge;
just watching my wife drinking the stuff gives me the creeps; it's meant
to be very good for you,
all sorts of vitamins and so forth; but I'm just too culture-bound to go
near the stuff.

> Walking isn't quite the relaxer for me it would be otherwise due to various
> complications but a nice drive or nap can serve the purpose.
>
> The flowers here are sparse year round. Southern NM desert. When we hit a
> bloom cycle all the little desert flowers are very cool but they tend to
> not last very long. Luckily my hard has some nifty roses (at the expense of
> LOTS of water) as well as a dead hibiscus. (didn't expend enough water, had
> a nasty cold snap this winter, was just too much for the poor thing)

I have lived in 3 desert regions (all in the Middle East) so am fairly
well up on hibiscus
and the sudden flowering of the desert after rain.