[TO] HTML5

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed May 9 01:45:59 EDT 2012

On 05/09/2012 05:23 AM, Kay C Lan wrote:
> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 3:17 AM, Richmond <richmondmathewson at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> My question might have been better phrased, something like this:
>>
>> * When will the fact that my website is NOT written in HTML5 will browsers
>> be unable to cope with it? *
>>
>> And that is probably an unanswerable question.
>>
> Easy question to answer.
>
> When the computer YOU are using AND the Browser YOU are using cause YOU
> enough frustration because YOU can no longer access enough web pages (or
> your own page) that YOU decide to migrate to HTML5. ;-)

That is all very well, but suppose I am the last person alive running a
PPC on a regular basis,
or my main customer base is the Sanskrit Writers' Club of Yorkshire
Grannies who use steam-driven
machines, and all the other customers use state-of-the-what-have-ye
machines; then my choice
of machine really has no value in that respect.

> IMO I believe there are still a few people around running PPC Macs ;-) so I
> think the HTML 4 web will be around for quite some time.

Well, I'm a bit schizophrenic in this respect as I am writing this on a
machine running Xubuntu 12.04 (intel Dual Core 6300 @ 1.86 GHz),
and THAT is the machine I use for everything EXCEPT Livecode authoring
and DVD authoring (for those I use a PPC running Mac OS 10.4).

I am also aware that the range of computer types, OSes and browsers is
vast. Not being a great one for the "one-size-fits-all"
theory that doesn't fuss me; and I am beginning to wonder if there might
not be a way to have 2 variants of a website (HTML3/4 and
HTML5) that can both be connected to a neutral start-page.