engine's limit on total parameter string length (was Re: Named Parameters)

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sat May 5 11:51:44 EDT 2012

On May 5, 2012, at 2:11 AM, FlexibleLearning wrote:

> The main downside of passing parameters is the engine's limits on total
> parameter string length. If too much data is passed, the engine simply
> truncates the data to the maximum length it can handle.
>
> If the amount of data does exceed the engine's parameter-passing limit, then
> the data elements have to be iteratively set directly (e.g. set the uValues
> of group "Chart1" to [a very large dataset]). I personally find this a more
> cumbersome syntax than the keyValue syntax but it does mean there are
> limits. For ChartMaker, the limits are about 15,000 data points (depending
> on overall string length, of course).

I was not aware of this limit.  I don't see it in the limits page of the user guide for LiveCode 5.0.2.

I have not had trouble passing very long strings as parameters, though often, if that is likely, I set up the handler to require a referenced variable for speed.

Is this a limit in the number of parameters?

Is this driven by the maximum length of a line in a field?

I'd like to get a better handle on this in my mind, so any clues you have would be good.

Dar