Program Installation folders

tbodine lvhdgc7 at gmail.com
Thu May 3 12:31:42 EDT 2012

Hi,

My problems with "Program Files" are:
1) It's read-only on typical post-XP PCs. So you can't save any data back to
that folder, if that matters to you. You end up with more data scattered
around the machine.
2) It's not obvious to average users, especially since MS "hides" the
contents of "Program Files" by default.

We have customers who often want to move our program and their work to a
Flash drive for mobile use. That makes "Program Files" a headache, so we
default install to "My Documents", where the user always has read/write
permissions and the app's folder is easily found if they need to go mobile
with it.

I'm sure the MS mothership frowns on this approach, but it works for
customers and it works for us every since the release of Vista.

Just some things to consider...

-- Tom Bodine