Syntax for incrementing a numeric 'word'

Ken Corey ken at kencorey.com
Wed Jun 27 04:58:09 EDT 2012

I built a label with multiple lines, put "1 2 3/n2 3 4/n3 4 5" into it
and ran this line of code on it:

    add 1 to word 2 of line 2 of field "field"

It worked just as you'd expect it to.

However, this seems a very slow way to do it.

Hashes work a treat for this kind of thing.

on mouseUp
    -- keep track of how many times each word is used.
    repeat for each word tWord in field "txt"
       add 1 to tHash[tWord]
    end repeat

    -- print overview
    put the number of lines in field "txt" into field "numlines"
    put the number of words in field "txt" into field "numwords"
    put the number of lines in the keys of tHash into field "numuniq"

    -- print details
    repeat for each line tLine in the keys of tHash
      put tLine&" "&tHash[tLine]&CR after field "result"
    end repeat
end mouseUp

Simpler, and I'd wager significantly faster.

-Ken