Playing Sounds in iOS

Chris Sheffield cmsheffield at me.com
Wed Jun 20 15:14:11 EDT 2012

Your code seems okay as far as I can tell. I'm guessing the path is not getting set correctly. Are you running this in the simulator or on a device?

One really quick way to verify the path of a file, especially if you're running in the simulator, is to simply place an answer command right before the call to mobilePlaySoundOnChannel to check the existence of the file you're trying to play. So something like:

answer there is a file tSoundFile

This will return true if the file exists, false otherwise. If your app is built for a device and you want to make sure the file are copying into the bundle correctly, in the Finder, right click on the bundle and choose Show Package Contents. Your files will either be right inside that folder or inside a sub folder. So just make sure to set the path accordingly. You can also verify the path by looking at the path as it's listed in Standalone Application Settings. If there are any folder names as part of the path, those folders will be created inside your app bundle and need to be included when building paths for the sound files.

So if you've verified the path and things are still not working, the only other thing I can think of is that you've got files that are not compatible with iOS for whatever reason, though I believe those file types are.

Chris