Where do you save preferences?

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Mon Jun 18 13:26:13 EDT 2012

Hi Richard,
The only statement I've found as to why Apple is doing this is in the OS X
Developer Library document "Submitting to the Mac App Store":

"To promote a more consistent user experience, applications submitted to
the Mac App Store must follow certain rules about where they write files.
Users can be confused when applications cause unexpected side effects on
the file system (for example, storing databases in the user’s Documents
folder, storing files in the user’s Library folder that are not
recognizably associated with your application, storing user data in the
user’s Library folder, and so on)."

blah, blah, blah…..

I don't know what the deal is with the HIG but the guidelines for the MAS
make it very clear that if your app writes to any location other than the
sanctioned ones, the app will be rejected.  So as far as MAS is concerned,
you can't write to the Preferences folder, doesn't matter what method you
use.

I guess the HIG is still the way to go unless you want your app in the MAS,
in which case, there's a whole other set of rules that override the HIG.
 Sandboxing is another example; no sandboxing, no MAS.  If you don't sell
through the MAS, you don't have to sandbox your app…. at least not yet.

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>