Where do you save preferences?

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Sun Jun 17 12:24:00 EDT 2012

Hi Richard,
It seems that the HIG and the Mac App Store requirements are at odds for
some reason.  Here's what the OS X Developer Library "Submitting To The App
Store" document has to say.  Note there's no mention of the Preferences
folder.

   -

   *Your application may write to the following directories:*
   -

      *~/Library/Application Support/<app-identifier>*
      -

      *~/Library/<app-identifier>*
      -

      *~/Library/Caches/<app-identifier>*

   *where <app-identifier> is your application's bundle identifier, its
   name, or your company’s name. This must exactly match what is in iTunes
   Connect for the application*

An application can also write to the ~/Pictures, ~/Movies, and ~/Music
folders and any directory that the user expicilty requests in a Save dialog.

I haven't personally submitted to the App store but I've been told by
people that have that their app was refused beacuse they weren't adhering
to the above requirements.

Why Apple should suddenly decide it's not OK to write preferences files to
the Preferences folder is beyond me, maybe these locations are more in line
with how things work on iPhone/iPad?

Of course, if you're not planning on submitting to the MAS, then I imagine
there's nothing to stop you following the HIG.

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>