Converting a Stack to many formats starting from XML

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jun 7 16:12:55 EDT 2012

Peter Haworth wrote:
 > I think I brought this up the last time this discussion surfaced,
 > but I think there's benefit to be had from being to able to discern
 > exactly what changes took place between two versions of a stack file
 > - were any controls added/deleted or did their properties change,
 > which scripts were added/deleted/changed, etc
 >
 > I started on a project to implement this but haven't had an
 > opportunity to get back to it.  Theoretically, the information I
 > store could be used to recreate a stack but that wasn't my intention
 > and I suspect that it would be full of pitfalls.

Probably easier to write a tool that combs directly through LiveCode
objects.

Bob Sneidar wrote
 > Hey, you know what would make this a lot easier? A new property
 > called objectVersion (a number), and a stack property called
 > stackObjects (an array). Each time an object is edited, the
 > objectVersion gets incremented by 1. This way you could simply
 > compare a list of stackObjects with a saved one, and a list of
 > objectVersions with a saved one of that.
 >
 > Why you say? Why not just loop through all objects in a stack? It's
 > been discussed before and things like Datagrids really throw a wrench
 > in the works. I suppose that would be true of any approach, but these
 > properties could treat all the objects in a Datagrid group as a
 > single object, and not list the individual components. The same could
 > be done with things like background groups.
 >
 > Even further, a new message called stackUpdate could be sent each
 > time a stack is saved that had objects which were edited, which could
 > be handled to send updates to another developer working on the same
 > stack.
 >
 > Or maybe I am dreaming I dunno.

   Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
   wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers
   of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream
   with open eyes, and make it possible.
   - T. E. Lawrence

Definitely doable.

--