RevMobile: Native controls

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Sat Jul 21 20:49:43 EDT 2012

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 9:34 PM, Chipp Walters <chipp at chipp.com> wrote:

> I typically think either we're designing for Tablets or Phones-- but not
> for both at the same time. Most devs I've seen tend to develop 2 different
> apps if they need to support both.

There is one good case for developing a single application that runs on
both the iPhone and the iPad. Universal apps rank higher on the search
results from the iTunes App Store.

Also you will get a larger number of installs (the sum of the phone and
tablet users) for the same app which will make it more attractive to
Android uses because people look at "how many people are using this" before
installing.

Both comments are more useful for those developing generic horizontal
market apps such as games or business apps with a broad appeal. If you're
developing for a vertical then it doesn't matter, your users will have
other ways of finding you.

cheers
andre

--