[OT] Between the lines of the previous post.

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sun Jul 15 14:00:59 EDT 2012

Doc-

Sunday, July 15, 2012, 9:23:46 AM, you wrote:

>> I favour #3, because, like comments in code/scripting it is easy for a
>> reader to see to what
>> a comment refers.

> It's not simply favored, but correct.  It's even in the RFCs.

True, but as with everything else, the real-world answer is "it
depends". I rarely top-post, but there are exceptions. I almost always
bottom post and include just the relevant part of the thread to which
I am replying to give some context. If I'm responding to a long email
with several cogent points I may:

 1. intersperse my comments, allowing my email client to add the
 prefix of ">" to the original text
 2. reply to salient points with several email responses
 3. ignore the whole thing and move on

Hint: using the standard ("correct") signature delimiter of
--
(that's dash-dash-space on a line by itself)
will allow email clients to truncate messages properly. See below.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net