which Linux?

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Thu Jul 5 11:50:38 EDT 2012

I administer both Windows and Apple servers. Some time ago Apple finally, after years of using POSIX permissions only (the permission scheme that all UNIX file systems use) implemented ACL permissions, the type Windows uses. While not exactly like windows, it was a marked improvement for servers, because new files on a server using POSIX were read/write for the owner, and read only for everyone else, never mind what the parent permissions were. This made folders for multiple users an incredible pain.

Until the last couple of years, workstation OS's used POSIX only permissions, but now they too have adopted ACL's. The trick is inheritance. It appears to be the case that workstation OS's still do not properly inherit the permissions of the parent folder, but of the creator. The reason most people do not see this is because the creator is typically the only person accessing the files, and because he is the owner, he has read/write to everything he creates.

The problem only becomes an issue when you are using file servers, or sharing files from your workstation. (Perhaps also when moving a file from a read only location to a read/write one as well). File servers have the option now of using parent folder inheritance. Prior to that, I was almost obliged to use Windows servers for file sharing. To my knowledge there is no way to change the inheritance behavior of a workstation OS.

Bob