Cloning stack reset object IDs?

Pete pete at mollysrevenge.com
Fri Jan 27 12:04:34 EST 2012

Hi Richard,
Just the datagrid group, not the stack itself.

Here's what I see when cloning.  If I clone a card, the controls on it are
given a new set of IDs.  If I clone a stack, the controls within the new
stack retain the IDs from the original stack.  I guess that's what I would
have expected.

One other thing I noticed when I was doing this test.  The IDs of the
controls I put on the first card I set up for the test weren't numbered
consecutively, they were 1004, 1006, 1008, etc.  When I cloned that card,
the IDs were consecutive, 1011, 1012, 1013, etc.  Is there a reason why the
first card's control IDs went up in 2's?

Pete

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Richard Gaskin
<ambassador at fourthworld.com>wrote:

> Pete wrote:
>
>> I just cloned a datagrid to see what would happen.  I'm afraid all the
>> control ids just carried on from the last one used in the original
>> datagrid
>> so using clone doesn't help.
>>

> Was that just the dataGrid group or the whole stack?
>
> Since the stack governs the IDs of objects within it, I would imagine that
> cloning the stack as a whole would preserve existing IDs, but here whenever
> I copy any object from one stack to another the ID is automatically reset
> to use the next available ID for the target stack.
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World
>  LiveCode training and consulting: http://www.fourthworld.com