Opening a Supercard file in Livecode?

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Tue Jan 24 17:06:29 EST 2012

It would work for user created objects, except how do you get datagrids to do this? All kinds of things in the datagrid are linked by long ID's to their behaviors by the engine. I'd be nervous about going into any functioning datagrid and trying to update all the object behavior references, and then when the datagrid creates new objects, unless you modify the datagrid library, it is also going to assign long ID's to those.

This does bring up an interesting point though. I think the datagrid library could be updated in such a way that the objects it creates could be persistent, that is, given the same size datagrid, same rows and columns, the objects would not be deleted or recreated simply because the data changed. It would also address the issue of how to deal with adding data below the last data in the datagrid. If the cells were already there you would just double click on one to edit it.

It would be quite an undertaking, but it is my opinion that the datagrid should have been designed this way to begin with. It solves a lot of problems we run into now, and we have discussed previously what happens in an app after a number of years of heavy use if you run out of ID's. It's hardly likely I suppose, but it's a possibility. Just thinking out loud here.

Bob