[OT] Going bananas with "The Desktop Experience"

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 09:48:14 EST 2012

On 01/14/2012 11:26 AM, Ken Corey wrote:
> Are there many punters for LiveCode in Linux?
>
> Serious question.  I've not tried to sell into that market, so I have
> no idea other than what I see in the press, but are Linux sales
> significant?

Linux sales area funny question, remember:

0. Linux and the word "sales" don't really sit all that happily together
as (most) Linux distros
     and their developers work on an entirely different economic model:
Free software, and paying for
     ancilliary services.

1. Most software for Linux is Open Source (i.e. Free).

2. I think that to break into a Linux market you have to develop an
application that
     is unique (i.e. does not do what an open source application does
already).

3. Because of #1 a large number of Linux users are reluctant to pay for
software.

4. Linux usage is growing; whether it will ever overtake Microsoft
Windows usage I don't know,
     but I think, in the foreseeable future, that is unlikely unless
Microsoft make a really big co**-up.

5. Linux usage is gorwing most in areas where people do not have much by
the way of\disposable income.

> I guess, since LiveCode makes it super easy

Well, I'm not entirely sure about that. The Linux version (and,
presumably, Linux standalones
built on other platforms) lags behind the Mac and Windows versions. I am
experiencing that with the
way it scr*ws up badly with Unicode text in text boxes.

> to approach Linux users, why not?
>
> -Ken

I certainly would not suddenly start going "all out" for a Linux market;
what I would do (but am unable to do right now - see above) is offer
finished software to run on Linux as well as Mac and MSW.

Richmond.