Rotate around Center of Mass

AcidJazz mpezzo at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 13:15:36 EST 2012

Is there a way to rotate an image around it's center of mass?     I teach
statistics, and one of the definitions of the mean is that it is the balance
point of a distribution.   I'd like to actually show a distribution
"balancing" back and forth, or actually spinning around its mean.   But, if
I take an image of a very skewed distribution of scores (long tail) and
tried to rotate it, it would rotate around the center of the /image/, which
would not necessarily be the mean of the distribution.   I image that the
solution involves extending the size of the image so that it is now centered
on the mean, but without altering or moving the actual distribution.   In
BlueMango's Clarify, after you take a snapshot, you can extend the size of
the image without stretching the picture.  I would need a way to do that
programmatically so that the horizontal center is the mean of the
distribution.    Any suggestions??

Mark