Sending hundreds of eMails

David Beck david at rotundasoftware.com
Thu Jan 5 13:26:05 EST 2012

Hi Dan,

The technique Mark describes is the same that we use. In our case we use CallPHP to facilitate calling the PHP function that sends the mail. We send tens of thousands of emails a day using this approach. We actually queue up the emails to be sent in a server side MySQL database, and then a cron job takes care of the actually sending via PHP's mail() command, around 100 per minute. We had to switch to the queue approach because sendmail was getting overloaded. CallPHP can be found at:

http://www.rotundasoftware.com/livecode/

Note you need your own web server, and you might need a dedicated server, because some ISPs limit outgoing emails from shared hosts, or filter them and block some that they determine to be high spam risk. (That was just our experience with aplus.net, it might be that you have no problems using a shared host to send lots of email, especially in small amounts.)

Hope that helps.

David Beck
Rotunda Software