Windows Standalone Does Not Have an App Menu

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jan 4 16:24:54 EST 2012

Gregory Lypny wrote:

 > If this is a convention on Windows, that is, that an app menu does
 > not appear when a modal window is frontmost, so that the user cannot
 > quit or cannot know that the app is running if they have switched
 > workspaces, then I don’t see how it promotes or meets expectations.

Standard windows provide the standard behavior.  Custom windows require
custom solutions, such as changing the app's style when it's minimized
so it'll appear in the Task Bar.

 > If I can start something up, I expect that I should be able to see
 > how to shut it down.

A developer choosing non-standard windows may be required to provide
non-standard ways to shut the app down.  This could include
Control-Alt-Delete, but more conveniently you could add your own
controls for that.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World