iPhonePickMedia .m4p

Thomas McGrath III mcgrath3 at mac.com
Tue Feb 28 08:40:30 EST 2012

Todd,

I had a different problem with iPhonePickMedia but not with .m4p files. For me the problem was that certain songs could be listed in the library but not really be there physically and yet they were not available to download via iCloud either. It was as if they were in-between being downloaded from i-cloud and living on the device. They could not be deleted either.

These songs would cause the app to quit after choosing a playlist or group of songs that included one of these files. The solution was to turn off iCloud on the device and then turn it back on and then the offending songs were gone. The icon on the song in the device was the downloading icon (outside circle with a square in it).

The reason I am posting this here is that it is very hard to release an app knowing there is a case where it will crash and yet if you reveal that particular issue during the publishing process you will be rejected. If you don't then people will give poor reviews because you didn't let them know about the condition beforehand. A catch 22…

With this in mind I do not think the iPhonePickMedia, as it is now, can be used in any apps that are to be published on the App Store. This therefore is a blocking issue although it works on 'normal' downloaded songs and 'normal' iCloud songs.

-- Tom McGrath III
http://lazyriver.on-rev.com
3mcgrath at comcast.net