[OT] HyperCard and the Interactive Web

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 03:36:05 EST 2012

On 02/26/2012 10:53 PM, Geoff Canyon wrote:
> It's interesting that you bring up the slaughterhouse analogy -- I've used
> it on many occasions to make the opposite point: I know that cows are
> butchered to make steaks. I've seen videos of it, in fact. I shouldn't have
> to learn how to do it to order at McDonalds.

No, you shouldn't; but it is valuable knowledge insofar as you then are
aware that by
eating meat you do it at a price; the suffering of vast numbers of
animals, that can, quite easily be avoided.

> There's a world of difference between "Kids today" and "computer
> programmer." Forcing the 99.9% of kids who *won't* become computer
> programmers to use a command line because of the .1% who will is like
> forcing every kid to butcher a hog before they are allowed to eat bacon.

"Kids today" is the phrase used in Britain to justify NOT teaching
literature written before 1945, history before 1914,
and the general dumbing down of most things.

Apart from any other considerations, while slide-rules  and command
lines may not be all that useful nowadays

[mind you, you'd be hard put to quite a few things on a computer without
some sort of nodding acquaintance with a terminal],

we should think about what the words "cultured" and "educated" mean. If
all one wants to teach one's kids are things that
may have some pragmatic use, then we should scrap 90% of every school
curriculum, so we can end up with an sort of
1984/Brave New World hybrid and say prayers to Henry "History is Bunk"
Ford .