[OT] HyperCard and the Interactive Web

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Feb 26 18:54:24 EST 2012

Roger Eller wrote:
> Imagine if Steve Jobs (RIP) had been simply given a Mac, iPod,
> iPhone, iPad when he was a child. Would he have worked to gain the basic
> understanding of all the underlying parts and code that brings forth the
> usefulness of those inventions?

I'm somewhat reluctant to prolong a thread that's so off-topic during a
time when discussion of one of LiveCode's three desktop engines is
considered a candidate for exclusion here, but I'm in a risk-taking mood
so here goes:

I think Jobs would have taken that knowledge and built something else
cool with it (it more accurately, Woz would have built something cool
with it and Jobs would have evangelized it into a must-have product <g>).

Tech always evolves, and people keep building more cool new tech.  From
metallurgy to the steam engine to the moonshot to being able to buy a
Core i7 from NewEgg for less than $200, there's always something that
still hasn't been invented yet, and it's always those same adventurous
thinkers generation after generation who take the dominant tech of their
day and move it forward to the day after.

Life today is easier in many respects that life before us, but by no
means as easy as it can be.

It's up to you, the readers of this list, or perhaps your children, to
get bored with the tech we have now and build something that will change
everything - until the next generation gets bored with it. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World