[OT] How do I get rid of this LiveCode IDE startup error?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Feb 26 14:03:21 EST 2012

On 2/26/12 11:00 AM, Len Morgan wrote:
> I'm getting an error dialog box when I try and start the LiveCode IDE
> about a missing device or file:
>
> \Device\Hardisk4\DR4
>
> I believe this is a Mac type description (I'm on Windows 7) and I'm sure
> it's got something to do with a plugin or something that I used to have.

The backslashes look like it's a Windows path.

> I recently had a crash on my machine and copied all of my programs/data
> to an external drive. When I got it back, I decided to leave as much as
> I could on the external drive, including LC. It seems to boot up fine
> otherwise after I hit "Cancel" on the above dialog box 7 or 8 times. I
> no longer have the installer for LC so I'm kind of stuck with the
> "pre-installed" copy I had (unless of course, someone knows where the
> links to older versions are) and this is happening so early in the
> process that I don't know where to go to even start looking for the
> problem.

If you log into your store account you should see download options for
all versions you have purchased. If that doesn't work, write to support
and they can help. The best way to handle this is to uninstall
completely and reinstall.

Other things to try:

Delete your LiveCode prefs file. That often solves a lot of issues.

Choose "Relicense" from the Help menu to force LiveCode to retrieve and
recertify your license.

Move LiveCode to your C drive, don't run it from an external drive.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com