[OT] HyperCard and the Interactive Web

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 12:18:27 EST 2012

We're wandering a bit here, but I disagree completely, so of course I
should reply ;-)

Some 100 years ago, it was considered necessary to memorize log tables.
That skill is now useless.

I remember (near 50 here as well) learning how to derive a square root.
That skill is also useless.

I agree with you that "It is far more IMPORTANT that kids learn to think
logically and coherently," but that doesn't at all mean that they learn a
particular file structure, or machine UI. Kids today don't need to know
what a command line is because the vast majority of them will never see one
in their lives. Kids should learn how to think, but in the context of the
environment they are/will operate in. A calculator is no more a crutch than
is an automobile. People who drive (or fly) from New York to Los Angeles
should not be first required to learn how to drive a horse and wagon across
the country.