What's the "right" way to do modules under iOS

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Feb 24 12:45:56 EST 2012

On 2/24/12 6:13 AM, Ken Corey wrote:

> For #1, I'm envisioning being able to download each module as a separate
> standalone, and open it as a substack from within the Login module. Is
> that the way it should work, or is there a better way?

Well, you can't open standalones as substacks. The way to do this is to
use the "splash screen" approach, where your mainstack is a compiled app
and any modules you want to add are just stacks. The mainstack opens the
document stacks with "go to stack". The mainstack can (and should)
contain all the common code that the document stacks need. The stack
script is put in use automatically in a standalone so its scripts will
be available globally to all open stacks. With this approach you only
need to swap in the new stacks and the standalone can remain unchanged.

> For #2, doesn't this technically count as "downloading executable code"
> under iOS, which would make it a no-no? What's the principle of IAP when
> it's adding new functionality? I read the IAP tutorial on runrev's site,
> and it wasn't discussed.

I think this would be a concern, but I don't know what Apple would say.
I suppose it depends on what your modules do, but I'm not sure if Apple
looks at add-ons based on behaviors, or whether they just reject
anything scripted automatically. If your main compiled standalone can
contain all the active code and your document stacks have almost no
scripts at all, then maybe they'd accept it. I think this is something
we'd all like to know.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com