iOS And XML Image Results Download in the Background?

John Patten johnpatten at mac.com
Wed Feb 22 17:21:17 EST 2012

Hi All...

I've tried both Ken and Gerry's suggestions for downloading images in the background via a URL.

In Ken's example, I was able to get the an images downloaded to a img object, however when navigating to another card LiveCode started behaving strangely and it would lock up for a minute, or two, and then proceed to give me an assortment of URL Errors about exceeding the 4000 limit etc., etc. ending with a ForceQuit.

In Gerry's example I managed to download a single image to a folder, but could not loop through my list of image URLs in order to download each one.

I attempted to combine both Ken and Gerry's examples, in order to prevent the error messages I was receiving in Ken's first example. However, it is not working...yet.

Here is what I have:

on mouseUp
   send "downloadImage 1" to me in 0 milliseconds
end mouseUp

on downloadImage idx
if idx <= the number of lines in cd fld "imageURLs" then
set the itemDel to tab
   put item 1 of line idx of cd fld "imageURLs" into tURL
   set the itemDel to "/"
   put the last item of tURL into tImagename
   libUrlDownloadToFile tURL, specialfolderpath ("Documents") & "/WhaleImages/" & tImagename
   send "downloadImage "&(idx+1) to me in 0 milliseconds
   end if

end downloadImage

Any suggestions welcome...

Thank you!