Binary data from external

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Mon Feb 20 12:19:07 EST 2012

My external C code boilerplate includes a function to create a hex returnable value.  I sometimes do that.  If you learn of a better way, I would like to learn of that.

It is easer with iOS externals.

You might be able to do this by analysis.  If you know your characters will never include a zero byte, then you can just to an ordinary return of data.

Dar

On Feb 20, 2012, at 9:51 AM, Mark Schonewille wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is LiveCode 5.0.2 able to read binary data from an external? I thought this was impossible, but my colleague, who is working on an external, tells me there is no reason why it would not work.
>
> I believe I need to use a command with a variale included as parameter to make an external return binary data:
>
> put empty inyo myVar
> someExternalCommand "myVar"
> set the unicodeText of fld x to myVar
>
> (assuming that we do something with UTF16). If LiveCode could read binary data from an external, then we could do:
>
> set the unicodeText of fld x to someExternalFunction()
>
> which would be much nicer. Has anyone got experience with externals that return binary data?
>
> --
> Best regards,
>
> Mark Schonewille

> Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
> KvK: 50277553
>
> Download the Installer Maker Plugin 1.7 for LiveCode here http://qery.us/za

---------------------------
Dar Scott
dba
Dar Scott Consulting
8637 Horacio Place NE
Albuquerque, NM 87111

Lab, home, office phone: +1 505 299 9497
For Skype and fax, please contact.
dsc at swcp.com

Computer Programming and tinkering,
often making LiveCode libraries and