Checkbox question

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Sat Feb 18 15:08:28 EST 2012

> I've currently got them disabled to achieve this but I'd prefer them to
> have their enabled appearance, just not allow them to be changed.  I've
> considered making images of the checkbox in its checked and unchecked
> state, disabling the checkbox and assigning the appropriate image as its
> disabled icon depending on the checkbox's state but wondering if there's a
> more straightforward way to do this.

Just a UI comment - it's not usually a good idea to present an enabled control that can't be changed by the user - it sends a mixed message to the user, especially if they were able to set it at one point and now can't. Personally, I would do as you are suggesting and make a "flat" static image that looks different enough from the checkbox control so it can't be confused. But if you're going to use the checkbox control, I'd suggest making it look different than a "normal" checkbox control - maybe italicize the text, or add a color overlay graphic effect, or some such.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/