iOS first steps - icon/splash trouble

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Thu Feb 16 17:00:41 EST 2012

I've progressed to the point of having written a small iPad app for testing purposes. It's really a version of something I wrote earlier for the desktop (Mac and Windows), fairly easy to adapt because it used one landscape window for most user interaction, so I have opted for a landscape-only iPad version. If works in the IDE and more or less works on the simulator (sometimes it seems to freeze but I don't know why).

Now I'm trying to build the app for my device, an iPad 2. I have a Provisioning Profile etc and I can start the build, but I'm having trouble with the required splash graphic.

According to the RunRev iOS Release Notes, I need an icon size 72 x 72 for the iPad SpringBoard. This seems to be OK. I also need a splash screen for the iPad Landscape orientation. There are two conflicting descriptions of this in the document: one - referring to item 13 of the Standalone Application Settings - says it has to be 1024 x 768; the other says that if you have a personal licence for iOS (which is all I have at this stage) then the graphic should be 600 x 600 pixels and it "will be placed inside the LiveCode banner". Actually this doesn't work, as the Standalone Settings warn you to keep to 1024 x 768. But that's not the problem: the issue is that when I try to build the standalone, I get a warning " No iPad Landscape Splash Screen". I'm looking at the settings and there definitely is a path to a 1024 x 768 PNG file in the right place.

So what did I do wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Graham