Another naive iOS question - filling the iPad screen

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Feb 15 22:43:03 EST 2012

On 2/14/12 11:54 AM, Graham Samuel wrote:
> I read that the size of the screen available to a LC stack on the
> iPad is 1024 x 768, so I made a stack that big. I then placed a
> graphic on the screen which was intended to provide a black
> background: I made this 1024 x 768 as well, and I set its top corners
> to 0,0. Oddly a chunk of white showed at the bottom  of the window,
> and if I moved my graphic down 24 pixels, the chunk of white showed
> at the top. So the sizes aren't the same. If I show the stack on the
> simulator, I get the same effect, i.e. not all the screen is black,
> but instead a 24-pixel chunk of white appears, always at the top. Is
> this what's supposed to happen? And anyway why doesn't a graphic made
> the same size as a stack not actually occupy the same space as a
> stack?

I'm still figuring this out too, but it seems the card size varies
depending on the orientation, the status bar (if any) and if there is a
lower toolbar or not (Android mostly.) You can get the actual dimensions
of the available space with the "working screenrect" but that won't
always tell you exactly where 0,0 is. If the status bar is showing, 0,0
will be directly beneath it. If it isn't showing, then 0,0 will be at
the top left of the physical screen.

On Android it gets even worse because of the variety of different system
toolbars, status bars, screen sizes, etc.

The best bet is to set your graphic to the screenrect in a resizeStack
handler, and let the engine figure it out. Or easier, if possible, just
set the backcolor of the card instead of using a graphic.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com