Architecture of downloadable content for iOS?

Ken Corey ken at kencorey.com
Thu Feb 9 08:51:35 EST 2012

Hi All,

So I'm finishing the login module of my sofware, and am preparing to
design the next module. So far, so good.  Let's see, package it
up...18MB!?!?! Oh, right, lots of graphics, and voice recordings.

Hrm...that's just the login screen...the first of (hopefully) many
modules in this project.

So then I started thinking about downloading (whether through IAP, or
should some other mechanism)...but Apple forbids downloaded code, right?

So it would seem to me that to make this work I put all the code in my
stack, and then update that on the app store for people to download. In
essence they then have the code to do the new thing (perhaps activated
via IAP) but not the support files.

Once the new version is running, then it downloads the content it needs
to go along with the new functionality, right?

Do I grasp the general idea here or can modules indeed be downloaded
from the app store, and called from my main stack?

-Ken