Android stats

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Feb 7 14:31:02 EST 2012

Bob Sneidar wrote:

 > My only real point was that multiple versioning of the OS and
 > multiple hardware configurations, some compatible with some versions
 > and some not is the tradeoff for the "openness" of the Android world.
 > Some like it hot!

Indeed, I prefer the steamy jungle, teeming with life.  Diversity of the
natural offspring of organic systems.

iOS developers can enjoy a certain sameness right now because the
platform is currently defined by sameness:  with a few minor spec
differences Apple offers only one phone and one tablet.

Want a slide out keyboard?  3D camera?  Bigger screen?  Smaller screen?
  A tablet that can still fit in the pocket of your cargo pants, or in
the apron pockets of the waiters who work in the restaurant you own
using the app that's streamlined your operations so much that it's
turned your little business into a chain?

For all that and more, Apple requires you to use something else.

And that something else can accommodate them all, for those developers
willing to roll up their sleeves and embrace the diversity that really
defines this moment.

What was that last part?

Diversity is coming, even to iOS.  TVs are only the beginning.   Form
factors were locked into laptops and desktop for many years, then
netbooks came along, and phones, and tablets, and now even Ubuntu TV was
shown at CES.

This is just the beginning.  Tablets will be around for a long time, but
they won't displace much.  They'll simply add to an ever more diverse
set of options, most of which we haven't seen yet.

So iOS devs, rest while you can.  And then study up on dynamic, flexible
designs, because you'll be working in an excitingly diverse ecosystem
soon enough, hot as the jungle teeming with life.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World