Android stats

Roger Eller roger.e.eller at sealedair.com
Tue Feb 7 14:21:09 EST 2012

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Bob Sneidar wrote:

> I rooted my iPhone ONLY because I could tether it without having to pay
> YET AGAIN for the unlimited data I was grandfathered into. Other than that,
> I have advised against it, mainly because there was a possibility of
> bricking it (at one time) and also because it voided the warranty for
> iPhones/iPads that belonged to the company, and no one has a right to do
> that!
>
> So maybe a fourth category: Responsible Geeks who root with caution, a
> sense of responsibility and a defined purpose? ;-)
>
> Bob

I do not endorse nor advise anyone to root a company owned device.  Also,
never blindly root your own device.  Do all the research INCLUDING a plan
to restore from a backup incase there are problems.  That said, even an
Apple OS upgrade can brick a device if connectivity or power is lost during
the update.  In most cases, these are soft-bricks, so there is still a
recovery path.  The key, as you said, is to be a "responsible geek".

~Roger