Android stats

Andrew Henshaw henshaw at me.com
Tue Feb 7 13:04:34 EST 2012

My stats are showing just over 60% of my app users are on Gingerbread,  with the rest spread between everything else.  The paid apps tend to be more weighted towards the later versions,  and the free apps towards the earlier ones,  maybe the people with the newer phones are more willing to pay for apps?

Depending on the phone,  once you have rooted it and installed the Clockwork stuff you can switch between different versions of Android in a matter of minutes.

I have a Galaxy and a ZTE blade I use to test and its a doddle to switch between 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 etc and that way you can see if your app works on all the platforms, you just need the various roms which can all be held on the sd card.

My tablet is a Sony though so no rooting that,  its not possible yet and im sure Sony have tried to ensure it stays that way!

Andy