Android stats

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Feb 7 12:07:07 EST 2012

On 2/7/12 9:07 AM, Roger Eller wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 8:48 AM, Colin Holgate wrote:
>
>> If I jailbroke my Acer tablet, how would that let me install ICS, if Acer
>> haven't yet adapted it for that tablet?
>>

>> On Feb 7, 2012, at 12:14 AM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>>> Very true, and I don't see much hope for improvement. On the other hand,
>> it's pretty much expected you'll jailbreak an Android tablet so people
>> update that way.
>>

> Can we please not call it "jailbreak" when referring to Android?  That term
> annoys me terribly.  It is not illegal to root (become the administrator)
> of ones own device.

Sorry, I know what you mean, though some companies really do want to
prohibit changes. They go out of their way to make it difficult.

At any rate, one reason to avoid rooting the device is if you're using
it for LiveCode testing. I haven't rooted my tablet because I want to
know how my apps will work on a standard installation (and that's how I
found out that Froyo isn't a very good candidate right now for LiveCode
Android apps.) Given the fragmentation among Android devices and that
some mods really are like stock releases, maybe that doesn't matter so
much but I've avoided rooting just in case.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com