Video on Linux (again)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Feb 7 09:17:06 EST 2012

Roger Eller wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 10:23 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> I had set aside playing video on Linux because of an annoying rendering
>> anomaly and I didn't really need it at the time.  Now I went back to try
>> it again, and I can't even get videos to play at all, even after setting
>> the videoclipplayer to mplayer, smplayer, and vlc.
>>
>> How are you playing videos on Linux?
>>
>> Are you able to do it at all?
>
> Are videos playing for you OUTSIDE of LiveCode (with mPlayer or VLC)?  If
> not, you probably don't have the non-free codecs installed.

Thanks for the reminder, but I'm an Ubuntu fanboy - the first thing I do
after any install is download the "restricted extras". :)

I've been testing with a wide range of formats, from ogg to WMV, AVI to
MPEG and more, and all of them play well with both the default player in
Ubuntu 11.10 and VLC.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World