REGEX and Livecode

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 05:55:29 EST 2012

Sorry chaps to start a new thread on this, but, somehow lost track of
the last one :(

Having 'swallowed my pride' and accepted that there MIGHT be more to
REGEX than
pattern matching, as I outlined in earlier postings, I had a look at the
URLs various people on the
Use-List provided:

Finding this one fairly thought provoking:
http://www.regular-expressions.info/quickstart.html

My thoughts were provoked in 2 ways:

1. REGEX seems useful.

2. How does one use REGEX within Livecode (and, my inevitable rider;
cross-platform) ?

Because REGEX expressions do NOT seem to be written in whatever name
the RR/LC language is going by at the moment (HyperTalk, MetaTalk,
RevTalk, Transcript,
Revolution. Livecode ???).

Now, as a mono-maniac for Livecode (i.e. I don't use any other
programming languages
on a regular basis) I am only going to go to the bother (and there does
seem to be quite a bit of that)
to learn REGEX if:

1. It can be, somehow, integrated into Livecode.

2. It will serve me better than the way I am doing things at the moment
(pace earlier postings).

Call me "an awkward sausage" if you will; but, I suspect that those
thoughts may, in part at least,
reflect the thoughts of a lot of the "silent masses" who would like to
do all sorts of jolly data
sorting and/or modification with Livecode.

Further to this, I would like to point out this:

http://lessons.runrev.com/s/lessons/m/4603/l/44092-working-with-text

[ admittedly it does not, directly, refer to unicodeText fields; but
that, as I have already found out,
can be dealt with comparatively easily ]

which makes me wonder why one needs to go and "bang one's head against
the wall" of REGEX.

Richmond.