New Pricing

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 13:40:58 EDT 2012

On 08/21/2012 06:31 PM, Peter Alcibiades wrote:
> Richard, I think this is the problem, isn't it?
>
> If you're going to support Linux in a way that is viable and attractive for
> people wanting a Linux based programming environment, this is not cutting
> it.  To do that you have to make the Linux environment available in the same
> way you make Mac, Windows Android or IOS.  You have to go after it as a
> market in its own right. You can't have an effective entry into the Linux
> programming environment when your offering is, buy a bunch of stuff you
> neither need nor want, for double the price of if you bought Windows or Mac,
> and the Linux version will come bundled with it.
>
> My feeling would be, this is worse than not having a Linux version at all.
> It will bring costs but neither benefit nor goodwill.  And the problem is,
> Python and so on are not as attractive as programming environments, at least
> not for me, but they are pretty much immune to these rather arbitrary
> positioning decisions and the uncertainty that they bring with them.
>
> I am a great believer for companies in doing whatever they do
> wholeheartedly, and making a real effort at it, and the question for Rev is
> why are you doing it like this?  Decide.  Either go after the Linux market,
> in which case position your offering for that market, or don't waste energy
> and money on it.
>
> I don't know what the correct commercial decision is for Rev on that one,
> but that is the decision.  The present situation smacks of being unwilling
> to go after the market, but too indecisive to actually take the logical
> consequence of such a refusal and kill it, and that cannot do anyone any
> good.

Of course the question that none of us want to ask is: does the Linux
market for Livecode mean more than Richard Gaskin, Peter Alcibiades and
Richmond Mathewson?

Because if the answer is 'NO' then RunRev should just stop developing
their Linux version right now,
and stop doing a "half-cock job".

If the answer is 'YES' in the sense that there is a relatively vast
untapped (and tappable) market out
there just waiting to buy Livecoode for Linux in sizeable quantities,
then RunRev had better get
weaving and straighten out their Linux offering.

Unfortunately I am not in a position to make a judgement call in that
direction.

However.........

Wouldn't it be "rather wonderful" if all the members of this Use-List
could write in and state what
platforms they develop Livecode stuff . . .

1. ON.

2. FOR.

and whether they would like Livecode available for more platforms (and
if so, which ones).

3. How many of them feel that a Linux version of Livecode at the same
sort of pricing as the versions for Mac and Win is financially worth it.