Serial Port Access

Jerry Jensen jhj at jhj.com
Wed Aug 15 14:47:59 EDT 2012

Mark and space are the two possible levels of a single bit. Mark corresponds to a logical 1 and in RS-232 is a *negative* voltage. Space is a logical 0, a positive voltage. Parity is an extra bit tacked onto a word as rudimentary error checking. 7 bits even parity uses the extra bit to make the number of ones in the word be even. Likewise, odd parity sets the parity bit to make the number of ones in the word be odd. Most commonly these days is 8 bits, no parity. Note the ASCII is 7 bits, so the 8th bit, which might or might not be a parity bit, is often ignored.

There are a lot of Marks around here. Smart ones too! I'm usually one of the spaces. Think positive!

.Jerry