when sent a message, the target can't find itself!

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Aug 4 22:34:16 EDT 2012

> On 8/4/12 5:37 PM, Dr. Hawkins wrote:
>
> My real need is the very narrow issue of a handler pulling the value
> of the field that called it, and then putting something back in.  It
> seems that this should take one line of code, not 8 or 10.

The more I think about it, the less I think "the target" is what you
want. The target is the the first object to receive a message in a
sequence of events; in this case the field is not receiving any
messages, it is generating them.

Instead of having the generic handler try to figure out the object
reference, it should receive it in a parameter. The field should call
the handler using something like this:

   doAdd the long name of me

The generic handler then does this:

   on doAdd pFldLongName
     put the value of pFldLongName + 45 into pFldLongName
   end doAdd

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com