[OT] How long before..

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Wed Aug 1 07:05:52 EDT 2012

Yes, in theory I also like the idea of just talking to my computer and have
it understand what I say and just do it. The problem is, when things don't
work 100% right, people tend to get upset. It's actually one of the reasons
iPads don't do handwriting recognition. Apple tried it with Newton and
found out people were more frustrated by it and it actually created more of
a barrier to use. And, a reason why Siri, and now Dictation, are suspect.
When it works only part of the time, it's hard to think it reliable enough
to incorporate directly into workflow.

Now, take DropBox for instance. What a smart product. If you save all your
stacks to a DropBox folder, it will archive each and every version for you
in the cloud. If you need to roll it back, you can do so from their
website. Very easy.

Apple should not be playing guinea pig with it's customers. Businesses
rarely put up with such shenanigans. Even MS had to back pedal on Ribbon
for quite some time-- and I concur with Thomas with regard to it's ultimate
advantages over previous versions. Sometimes improvement for improvements
sake isn't the right answer.

Too often I've heard the young shout "if the music is too loud, you're too
old!"

Sometimes the music really is too loud.